Friday, September 18, 2009

Post Office Predicaments

The Post Office here is quite different from anything you've ever experienced in the Lower-48.  First off, imagine for a second your neighborhood post office.  Most likely, it's open Monday-Saturday, with hours that resemble something like 8am-5pm and is staffed by at least 2 people usually.  There are strict rules for P.O. Boxes and picking up packages, especially if you have insured them.
The blue building in the middle is our post office in Koliganek.
Now, when you get to my quaint little village, you have to toss that idea right out the window.  Our Post Office is a small room that is also in the Village Council building (at least I think that's what the building is called).  It is run by one older lady named Lucy.  The Post Office is only open 11am-1pm during the week, and for an hour or so (if you're lucky) on Saturdays.  The building itself is open from 9am-4:30pm.  Right now, there is not enough PO Boxes for everyone in the village, so I still use the school's PO Box.  Needless to say, if I have to actually go to the post office for anything, I have to go during my lunch break.  And I have to wait until the school picks up their mail to get anything of mine (which is once a week).

Getting packages or large boxes, well, that's completely different too.  All packages are left in the large open area of the building.  As long as it's not a COD (Cash-On-Delivery) package, you can just go grab your box from the open area when you have time.  Okay, I know what you're probably thinking.  "Don't your boxes get taken if they're just left in the open?!?!"  Well, no.  There are less than 200 people here.  Everyone is pretty honest.  It wouldn't take long to figure things out I'm sure.  COD packages have to stay at the post office until you pay Lucy for them.

Lucy is quite the character.  She's nice, but sometimes seems a little cranky (I always try to give her a smile and tell her to have a good day).  She couldn't figure out who I was for awhile.  She asked me every time I came in if I was Victor Green (one of the other new teachers in the village, who is old enough to retire.  I'm pretty sure I look nothing like a "Victor").  I think she's figured me out now though....after all, I'm the only blonde girl in the village.

No comments:

Post a Comment