Thursday, September 10, 2009

Welcome to Alaska!

I’ve been here a little over a month so far, and so much has happened!  I finally got my internet hooked up at home, which means I can finally get this blog rolling!  This first post is going to be a long one, so be prepared!  But I want to make sure I get anyone and everyone as caught up on my life as possible!

Moving to Alaska from Colorado was quite the ordeal.  I packed up the important things in my life into 10 Rubbermaid tubs, 4 large flat rate shipping boxes, and the box I shipped my TV in.  I shipped most of my stuff in July to Alaska, while I was still working at camp.  I spent around $600, just on shipping.  And that doesn’t include all the things I’ve forgotten and had to have my mom send me!

A fountain in downtown Anchorage
I embarked on my journey to Alaska on August 5th, at 9:30pm MST.  I finally arrived in Alaska at 1:30am, and had to kill time at the airport until Wal-mart opened at 6.  Once 6am rolled around, I got my rental car, went to Wal-mart and placed my first COD Bush Order.  That was...uhh..an experience.  I realize now that there were some things I should have got that I didn’t, and of course, there were some things I didn’t need because my house already had them.  Oh well.  Live and learn, right?  I drove around Anchorage the rest of the morning and early afternoon until I had to be back at the airport to catch my flight to Dillingham.  Once I got back to Dillingham, the superintendent picked me up, drove me around town a little, and the drove me to the hotel.

I stayed in Dillingham until August 12 for inservice.  The first 2 full days (Friday and Saturday) were solely for new teachers.  On Saturday,  a lot of the people from district office with boats took us out on Alegnagik Lake.  We had salmon over the fire, hot dogs, and I got my first taste of agutaq (Eskimo ice cream, which is made of fresh blue berries, sugar, and crisco).  Ummm, let’s just say it’s not my favorite dish, but it’s not the worst thing I’ve ever eater either.  Maybe it’s an acquired taste.  I can say that I enjoy the salmon here, and if you know me at all, I hate fish.  We had Sunday off.  Then Monday through Wednesday, all of the returning staff joined us.  Monday evening we had a BBQ, complete with a dunk tank.  Because I was wearing running clothes, I got volunteered to be dunked!  What fun!

We left for our villages on Wednesday afternoon.  It was pretty cloudy and rainy when we got to Koliganek.  Rick (one of my fellow high school teachers, who has been a life-saver all summer long) showed me to my house, and even brought me my luggage that came on the second plane later that afternoon.  He toured me around the village after we went to the dump (let me tell you, the dump is quite an experience!).  I got all unpacked that night (had to, needed to find my bedding!).  And we started working in our classrooms on Thursday morning.  I think Vicky and I (Vicky is the other high school teacher) worked all through the weekend, trying to organize and set up.

We started the school year with a half-day and a community pot-luck.  It was nice to get to meet so many people!  I’m teaching so many grades and subjects, it’s almost crazy.  I teach Middle School Science, PE, Health, and Math in the morning, followed by High School Physical Science, Health, and Current Issues in Science in the afternoon.  Because Middle School is 7th and 8th grade, the math class is actually two math classes at the same time.  So, that’s 8 preps, and it’s only a 6 period day!  I have to do weekly lesson plans, and that helps me stay organized.


As far as the village goes, things are pretty laid back here.  It’s very small and quaint.  I enjoy it.  Everyone drives around on 4-wheelers.  Prices are pretty high though.  Gas is $6.25/gallon I believe.  We have a store in town, but things there also cost a bit.  I spent $60 on 6 items when I was there last.  I just placed my big bulk order though, so I shouldn’t have to shop at the store very often (between my Span order and the shopping my mom did in the lower-48, I’ve got over $2,000 worth of groceries on the way!).

Very yummy blueberries from the tundra!
The people here are also very nice!  I’ve been invited to go berry-picking already with one of the local ladies.  It was so much fun!  And I’ve been given lots of wonderful gifts in the form of fresh salmon, moose burger, and fresh veggies.  The are truly wonderful people here who take care of each other and take pride in their community!


Well, I guess this is long enough.  I’m really enjoying myself here in Alaska so far!  Even the weather is cooperating so far (mid-50s to 60s usually, usually sunny).  Oh, and right now, its sunny from about 7am-10pm.  Pretty awesome!

5 comments:

  1. Looks like the Alaska adventure is well underway! I actually just started a blog to keep in touch with my friends back in TX, so I'll just add you to my "watched blogs" list. I will get those lesson plans to you soon as well, I just have to get settled here and then I will find them and send them your direction! How is teaching all of the different subject areas?

    -Tink/Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teaching all of those subjects is going well...I'm saving that for a blog to come :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My little niece has taken a hold on her life. Way to go girl. I am so proud of you. You are in beautiful country right now, so enjoy it for me. Wish I could visit you and get the grand tour. You are at the beginning of a wonderful future. Enjoy this experience to it's fullest. Send lots of pictures.
    Nanny

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a wonderful adventure! I'm glad the people are nice and treating you well, that definitely helps make things easier. I do have to say I am jealous of your technology advantages (that alone could possibly get ME to move)...lol. Keep in touch and keep checking Facebook (when the baby comes I will post pics on there). I sure do miss you and our talks and scrapbooking but very happy for you! I know you are better off with your adventures than what's going on here. Talk to ya soon.
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe I am not so dumb! I think I did it right after all. I hope I don't spoil any news from Kelly, but she had her baby early! Colby Newcomb was born yesterday by CSection at 34 weeks. He is in NICU but apparently doing well. He was still 6lbs 3 oz and 19 3/4 inches. Man, what if he was full term! He might have been a moose. Take Care as the long winter comes up.

    ReplyDelete